Following each performance at the Southern Theatre, Classical 101FM host Boyce Lancaster and ProMusica Music Director Timothy Russell host a casual conversations in front of the stage. Audience members join an open forum offering insight into the music performed and meet-and-greet opportunities with guest artists and composers.
This conversation features conductor Rei Hotoda, the guest conductor for January’s Happy Year of the Dragon, Di Wu, guest pianist, and Chen Yao, featured composer. Listen to Rei, Di, Chen. and Boyce discuss:
- Chen Yao’s name, his composition style, and his inspiration in composing the piece
- Rei’s thoughts on putting Yao’s piece together as a conductor
- Di’s reflections on Chopin, Liszt, and her encore selection
- differences in the preparation, interpretation, and performance for different composers’ works
- preparing concerti for public performances
- getting inspired as a composer
Hear the whole conversation here.